Saturday, August 1, 2009

Right in the Kisser

My ten-year-old comes into the room and plunks on the bed. After a heavy sigh, he says, "My insides feel lonely."

I love the images this child brings up when he tries to express himself in words the best way he can. I immediately turn to him, trying to read the emotion in his face.

Again, he laments, "My heart feels empty." Oh, the saga of a sad little boy. I stand up to go to him, wanting to take him into my arms and hold him, filling up all those empty spaces with the totality of motherly love.

I lie down next to him, and start to draw him close to me. He pulls away and says, "The computer always makes me feel better. Can I go on it?"

R-i-i-i-p the gentle music.

After some wrestling and laughter, he is sent to finish up his chores before getting on the computer. I lie there thinking, "What have we come to?" I know I am not replaceable, but it still makes me want to take a fist to our technology.

"One of these days, Alice. Pow! Right in the kisser!"
.

2 comments:

Joe Clarke said...

Hahaha! That's a great entry. You know, the computer always helps me, too, when my heart feels empty.

Soul said...

AWWWW!!!! Hahahhaa...not to worry. There's plenty the computer will never be able to compete with when it comes to moms. I've yet to see any of our computers try to beat me up the stairs to tuck my son in at night when he specifically asks for me. Me, NOT technology. Tyvm. :p